Internal Chat Communications for Auto Repair
Technology is a great multiplier. If used properly, it can multiply your efforts. Remember, peoples’ time is a limited resource, and, with proper technology, it can become multiplied. What does this have to do with some internal chat method for your auto repair shop? Nothing really, but it sounded good. If you are going to try to setup internal chat in your organization, there are two options that I have used and really like: Google Hangouts and Slack.
Pros to both:
- Google Hangouts is simple. You open up windows and chat.
- Slack not only allows you to chat, but it allows you to setup different channels so you can include certain people in certain conversations.
- Both archive the communications for later recall.
Cons to both:
- Neither are integrated with your Shop Management System. Eventually they will, or there will be some version of an internal chat, but not currently.
- Slack can become over-complicated easily. Too many channels…
- Your people at the shop won’t use it.
- It becomes a distraction for both Service Advisors and Technicians. You don’t want them texting on their phones but yet want them texting each other.
Yes, I said it. Your people at the shop won’t use it, although I’m sure there are a few shops that have successfully implemented it.
Architect/President at autotext.me
As an auto repair shop owner of Golden Rule Auto Care, Chris Cloutier realized the need for a better way to communicate with his customers as he observed how communication gaps created bottleneck situations and wasted valuable rack time. With 20+ years experience as a software developer including employment stints at Southwest Airlines and Wyndham International, Chris had seen the benefits of the marriage of software and customer service. With the entrepreneurial passion to create an innovative solution to solve a common industry problem, Chris designed autotext.me, a tool that dually functions as a visual workflow management system and as a means for keeping customers engaged and informed by providing status updates throughout the stages of the vehicle repair process. Click here to read more...